What is the Role of a School Counselor?
School Counselors strive to make each student feel that there is someone in the school who knows and cares about them. Above all else school counselors are advocates for students. School Counselors accomplish this by acting as a resource for all students when their needs extend beyond the classroom. Our goal is for each student to leave Englewood Cliffs academically, socially, and emotionally prepared for High School and beyond. Academic success is essential to the educational process, but it is not the only area students can excel in. By molding thoughtful, empathetic, and forward thinking students, we provide them with a greater opportunity for success in all walks of life. Counselors maintain a close working relationship with the Teachers, Child Study Team, and Administration to provide a more vivid picture of each students strengths and areas of improvement.
School Counselors achieve these goals by providing a variety of services to the students; these services include, but are not limited to the following:
- Emotional, social, developmental and behavioral services to students and families.
- Academic guidance and support services, including the monitoring of academic performance, facilitating communication between school and home.
- Career awareness, exploration and planning services, including goal setting and decision making assistance for students.
- School crisis and intervention referral services.
- Classroom observations
- Coordination of state testing programs
- Individual Counseling, Small Group Counseling, Social Groups
- Classroom Guidance Lessons to promote the character education values of RESPECT, RESPONSIBILITY, TRUSTWORTHINESS, FAIRNESS, CARING, and CITIZENSHIP.
- Participate on academic teams and consult with teachers on a regular basis regarding the needs of the students.
- Teacher/Parent Consultation
- Referral Assistance
Counselors work closely with both students and their families. You can find links to helpful information on this page as well as contact information for your child’s School Counselor. Parents are encouraged to contact us with questions, concerns, or to gather feedback on their child's progress at school. Please explore this page for helpful information or areas you would like to discuss further. You are essential to the continued success of our students!
Last Modified on August 9, 2018